If you feel that Linux web hosting isn’t the right path for you to take, you may find that Windows web hosting services will be able to provide you with the features that meet your requirements in a more supportive way. Windows web hosting plans are able to provide web developers with an array of exclusive features that aren’t available on the Linux platform, which is one of the reasons for Windows hosting plans remaining popular despite the low cost of web hosting plans that are hosted on a Linux platform. Although Windows web hosting plans usually carry an additional premium because of the fact that it is a commercial operating system, for most businesses this additional cost is justifiable through the benefits that they will receive from using a more robust and well-developed operating system for their web hosting needs. Windows can provide you with exclusive support for a range of Microsoft products including Microsoft SQL Server which is one of the most popular enterprise level database servers available, as well as ASP.NET for Windows web developers who are always looking to make the most of the components and features that hey have available to them to aid with the development of high-end and scalable web applications.
What form of Windows web hosting should I choose?
There are several different forms of Windows web hosting to choose from and it is important for you to choose the right form of Windows web hosting for your needs to guarantee that you are getting good value for money and can make the most of the features that you require. The main forms of Windows web hosting available:
- Windows shared web hosting – a Windows shared web hosting plan will provide entry-level users with the features that they will need to setup and host a small website along with a domain name and the other services that you would expect to receive from any web hosting plan – the purpose of a shared web hosting package is to allow people to get started with web hosting in an environment that will allow them to make the most of their existing skills whilst providing them with the security and confidence to develop new skills that they can then use to improve their websites and develop more scalable and reliable web applications – the major benefit of Windows shared web hosting plans is that they are the cheapest Windows hosting services available, thus meaning that using Windows web hosting doesn’t have to be expensive as some may interpret it to be
- Windows VPS server hosting – if you are looking for a web hosting service that can provide you with more resources and the power to have more control over what features and applications you have available at your disposal then you may wish to consider a VPS server because this is the cheapest form of web hosting available that will be able to provide you with a Windows dedicated hosting environment – a VPS is designed to provide low cost dedicated web hosting to businesses that need a more reliable and stable web hosting service but are unable to afford the high costs that are associated with dedicated server hosting services
- Windows dedicated server hosting – for businesses that have the biggest web hosting budgets around, dedicated server hosting is a legitimate option because most businesses have demanding needs which means that they require a web hosting service that can provide them with a hosting environment that no-one else will have access to – a dedicated server will provide you with your own physical server that no-one else will have access to, this allowing you to create a secure web hosting environment that will be inaccessible to even the most experienced of hackers.
How will a Windows web hosting plan benefit me?
A Windows web hosting plan will be able to benefit you in a variety of ways if you have found that the features provided by Windows hosting will put you at an advantage with regards to website development. The main benefits available include, but are not limited to:
- Database hosting – using a Windows web hosting plan provides you with the opportunity to choose between multiple database servers and applications if you are looking to develop a database-driven website – Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Access will only function on Windows servers which is why if you are using either application, you will need to consider Windows web hosting over Linux web hosting services – however, as well as Microsoft database solutions, you will also be able to make use of other open source database servers and applications that have been adapted for use on the Windows platform, the most popular of which is MySQL server as this can be integrated into a number of different scripting languages
- ASP.NET hosting – if you are looking to develop scalable and feature-rich web applications for use on the Windows platform then ASP.NET will provide you wit the opportunity to do so, allowing you access to an array of features and components that will allow you to exploit some of the latest client- and server-side technologies that are available – ASP.NET web pages and scripts are only supported on the Windows platform because it is a technology that has been developed by Microsoft and therefore isn’t open source, this enables web hosting providers to guarantee that there will always be a niche for Windows web hosting services.
In conclusion, choosing a Windows web hosting plan will depend on your exact resource requirements and whether or not you feel that you will need all of the extra features that are offered by higher-end Windows web hosting services. Windows shared web hosting plans will be ideal for beginners who have never used Windows web hosting before because they will be able to get a feel for the features within the security of a shared hosting environment, but for businesses that require a higher level of power then VPS servers and dedicated servers will be able to cater for their needs.