cPanel Dedicated Server
cPanel is one of the most popular Linux web hosting control panels available and is able to offer both web hosting providers and their clients many features to make the experience unique for each individual user. When installed on a high specification dedicated server running CentOS, one of the most popular Linux distributions around, cPanel is able to handle the hosting of hundreds of websites meaning that it is also a very cost effect option for web hosting providers who wish to offer cheap and low cost web hosting solutions to their clients. cPanel has been made so popular for a number of different reasons; not only is it very fast and effective at achieving what it has been designed for, but it has also been designed so that third-party developers can create plugins for the web hosting control panel and this has led to a number of different but useful plugins being developed for cPanel.
Linux dedicated servers are available from a large number of web hosting providers which helps to ensure that there is a wide variety of choice when it comes to server specifications and pricing; cPanel on the other hand is usually available for the same price from most web hosting providers, however this cost is low making it good value for money. cPanel isn’t the most resource intensive of Linux server applications meaning that your cPanel dedicated server doesn’t need to be of any high specification and this can help you to save money to a good extent; however, you should ensure that your dedicated server meets the minimum system requirements and it is recommended that you choose a server that is perhaps above these requirements to help ensure the best level of service from your Linux dedicated server. Linux web hosting services are best known for being good value for money and a cPanel dedicated server is highly unlikely to be an exception to this rule; cPanel can provide you with all the facilities and services that you will require in order to effectively manage your dedicated server and any subsequent web hosting accounts that you may be hosting. The cPanel control panel package will provide you with two web hosting control panels to make use of; first off there is the WHM (Web Host Manager) control panel that can be used for the management of the server and by resellers for the management of their hosting accounts, and secondly there is the actual cPanel control panel which is what you will be able to provide your own web hosting clients with access to.
What are the advantages of using a cPanel dedicated server?
There can be many advantages to using a cPanel dedicated server since you are combining the power of one of the most popular web hosting control panels available with that of the Linux operating system and what is probably going to be a rather powerful dedicated server. One of the main advantages of using a cPanel dedicated server is the fact that you are going to be provided with a rather powerful platform for hosting a large number of websites on, and since you are using a dedicated server this means that you can expect a good level of reliability from your cPanel dedicated server; reliability is an important feature of any web hosting service these days, and to be able to make the most of it you need to consider a dedicated web hosting service for your requirements. A cPanel dedicated server will also be able to offer you your own dedicated web hosting environment in which you will be able to install any applications that you may require to help enhance your web hosting experience, meaning for example that you could install any of the third-party plugins that are available for cPanel to help maximize the power of the control panel; this also means that you will be able to secure your Linux dedicated server to a level that suits your requirements meaning that if you require maximum security, you can be guaranteed maximum security. cPanel dedicated server hosting services will also allow you to make use of your own secure web hosting environment, or if you are going to be offering your own web hosting packages on your dedicated server you can guarantee your users a secure web hosting environment in which their data will be safe; if you are going to be offering your own web hosting plans then it may be a good idea to secure your Linux dedicated server to a level that means that it will pass a PCI certification test. In summary, the main advantages of using a cPanel dedicated server include:
- Reliability and uptime – when spending a large amount of money on a web hosting service you want to be sure that you are going to receive a reliable web hosting experience, and because of this a Linux dedicated server should be far more reliable than a Linux shared hosting package or any other forms of Linux web hosting – cPanel is one of the most popular Linux control panels available and it is very light on resource usage meaning that there should be plenty of server resources free for the services and applications running on your server at any time, aiding the reliability of your Linux cPanel dedicated server – if you find that your cPanel dedicated server isn’t very reliable then you may wish to reconsider your resource requirements or instead cut down on the number of applications and websites hosted on your server
- Dedicated web hosting environment – this will allow you to make any chances to the core applications of your dedicated server or to install any applications of your choice safe in the knowledge that you won’t be affecting any other users as you will be the only one with full access and use of your dedicated server and resources – this can be helpful in certain situations where your requirements dictate that you need have a particular application installed that isn’t available with your existing web hosting service – as a cPanel dedicated server user it also means that you can then install additional plugins for cPanel such as Fantastico and RVSiteBuilder that will allow you to increase the possibilities of what the control panel can be used for, further enhancing your own web hosting experience and that of others who may be using your Linux dedicated server to any extent
- Security – if you require a highly secure web hosting environment then again you should consider a Linux dedicated server for your requirements, and the cPanel control panel will be able to enhance the security of your Linux dedicated server further – by having your own dedicated web hosting environment you will find that you are able to secure your Linux dedicated server to a level that will suit your requirements perfectly – if you choose to go for a cPanel Linux dedicated server then you can make use of specific applications such as the CSF firewall that will help to keep your server more secure, and cPanel itself will secure different areas of your dedicated server upon installation anyway – other measures that can be taken to secure a Linux dedicated server include the use of SSL certificates where necessary as well as specific modules such as mod_security for Apache.
The advantages of using a cPanel dedicated server mean that it is the recommended solution for you if you are looking for an easy to use and highly flexible Linux dedicated server hosting service.
What are the disadvantages of using a cPanel dedicated server?
There are also disadvantages to using cPanel dedicated server hosting services, mainly due to the fact that you are putting quite a lot of money on the table for most dedicated server hosting services but also because dedicated server hosting is the only physical form of web hosting available. The main disadvantage affecting the use of any dedicated server hosting service is the cost involved with purchasing the dedicated server, and dedicated servers are always going to be expensive since they are the only form of physical web hosting available; the consensus is that if you are unable to justify the cost of the dedicated server hosting package that you are looking at then the likelihood is that you don’t require a dedicated server of such a high specification. A dedicated server can also be a lot to manage in some cases and it’s important for you to remember this prior to purchasing a dedicated server so that you can make the necessary provisions beforehand to ensure that your Linux dedicated server is managed correctly; Linux dedicated servers can only generally be managed via SSH and this requires skill to be done properly, but on the other hand the cPanel control panel can provide you with the WHM interface meaning that you will be able to manage your Linux dedicated server using a GUI. cPanel dedicated server hosting may not always represent good value for money either which could be a problem if you are on a tight budget since in such a situation it is going to be important for you to get the most for your money; although dedicated servers may come with high resource assignments, these resources may be too great for some meaning that for example you may never be able to make the most out of the hard drive space that you have available to yourself, because of this it is important to ensure that you choose the specifications of your dedicated server carefully during the order process. In summary, the main disadvantages of cPanel dedicated server hosting include:
- Price – dedicated server hosting is always going to be expensive since a dedicated server is the only physical form of web hosting that you can purchase, whereas all other forms of web hosting are generally virtual – the price that you pay for your Linux dedicated server will normally depend on the hardware specifications that you choose for your dedicated server since obviously the higher the specification of your cPanel Linux dedicated server, the more that dedicated server is going to cost you – it is also important to remember that any additional extras or applications that you choose to have installed on your Linux dedicated server, including cPanel and any accompanying third-party add-ons, will also cost you money meaning that in some cases cPanel dedicated server hosting may not even be worth the cost
- Server management – the management of a Linux dedicated server can also pose a problem for some individual users as well as smaller businesses since a server needs to be managed properly if you stand a chance of being able to make the most of it – managing a Linux server isn’t the easiest of tasks since you can only do it properly via SSH which is a command line based interface meaning that you need to be versed in the necessary commands if you wish to be able to manage your Linux dedicated server effectively – some larger web hosting providers are able to offer managed dedicated server hosting which will provide you with access to a highly experienced support team who will be able to deal with any issues that you throw at them, effectively reducing your need to have any sort of technical knowledge when it comes to server management
- Value for money – cPanel dedicated server hosting services may not always represent good value for money due to the number of factors that add to the cost of what is already going to be an expensive form of web hosting – you should only consider cPanel for your Linux dedicated server if you are sure that it is going to be of use to you or anyone else who will have access to your dedicated server since otherwise you could save yourself some money by opting not to use the control panel and instead managing your Linux dedicated server directly using another method such as SSH – at the end of the day it is up to you to find a Linux dedicated server with cPanel that you can class as good value for money.
The disadvantages of using a cPanel dedicated server are unlikely to affect you if dedicated server hosting is the right form of web hosting for your requirements. It is important for you to do your research to ensure that you choose the right dedicated server for your requirements.
In conclusion, Linux dedicated server hosting is the cheapest form of dedicated server hosting available due to the fact that Linux is an open source operating system and therefore free to use. cPanel will help to extend the uses of your Linux dedicated server to include the hosting of multiple websites as well making it easier for you to manage your Linux server.